The Apostle Paul wrote Romans to the Christians in Rome. The Roman church was mostly Jewish but contained A significant number of Gentiles. Paul gave A practical roadmap as to where sin can lead us and how our mind can become degenerate through sin. The wages of sin are death, and this clear outline shows the pathway to A depraved mind.
Romans 1:18-32 Gods anger at sin:
The Wrath of GOD is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and Unrighteousness of men who in their wickedness suppress and stifle the truth. The truth about GOD is evident within these individuals, for GOD made it manifest in them. However, they decide to prevent the development of others due to their Unrighteousness. (I call this group the mutilators, they cut off the developmental growth of the babes in Christ, usually making disciples after themselves instead of JESUS they seek greedy gain).
Philippians 3:2 Beware (Take Heed) of dogs, beware of evil (Worthless) workers, beware of the concision (cutting down/ off/mutilation).
God is long-suffering not willing for any of us to suffer; he wants all to come to the knowledge of JESUS Christ. He draws us in, but if we continue in our sin, GOD will eventually give us over to A depraved mind. A reprobate is A morally depraved, corrupt, wicked person. When your mind is reprobate, you can become rejected by GOD and beyond the hope of salvation.
Let’s Looks At the phases below:
Darkened (Veiled) Heart
- Know there is A GOD
- Decide not to Honor nor Glorify GOD
- Unthankful Towards God
- Vain (Empty) thoughts/imaginations towards GOD.
The group above is the start toward A reprobate mind, they know or have heard there is A God BUT decide NOT to Honor him as GOD. In result, they will become unthankful towards him and will have vain/ empty thoughts towards GOD.
This group usually refuse to receive the truth of the Gospel because it requires them to change and Glorify the GOD of the bible. When presented with the truth it is now hidden from them, because they are in love with their sin. As a result, Satan has blinded their mind from the truth.
2 Corinthians 4:3-4 But even if our Gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, 4 whose minds the God of this age (Satan) has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the Gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.
Given Up to “Uncleanness” (Physical & Moral Defilement)
- Greek minds: Walk in the wisdom of this world as opposed to the Wisdom of GOD they become fools.
- Idolaters: Create A god in the image of man or beast (statues, money, careers, celebrities, family, sex, children, horoscopes, etc.)
- Due to the fact they did not honor GOD and became idolaters, they are now given over to the lusts of their own hearts. This always leads to Sexual impurity (uncleanliness) i.e., Fornication, masturbation, pornography, homosexuality, etc.
- Exchanges the truth of GOD for A lie (create A god in their image after the lusts of their own hearts)
- Worship and serve the creature (things created) rather than GOD, our creator.
Due to the wisdom of this world, several become foolish, which causes them to change the truth of GOD into A LIE. If we refuse to receive the truth of GOD, we will automatically receive A lie. The uncleanness and lusts of the hearts will cause many to dishonor their bodies between themselves. FOR THIS CAUSE, GOD GAVE THEM OVER TO Vile Affections.
Given Up to Vile (Abominable) affections
- Women exchanged the natural function (of their bodies) for the unnatural and things contrary to nature. (Lesbianism, feminism, abominable acts, etc.)
- The men turn away from the natural function of the woman and burn in their lust for one another.
- Receiving in their bodies the penalty of their error (wrongdoing)
- Will not acknowledge GOD or consider him worth knowing as their creator.
Since they did not see fit to acknowledge God or retain him in their knowledge, God gave them over to A reprobate (depraved) mind.
Given over to reprobate (degenerate) mind
They were filled (permeated, saturated) with every kind of:
- Full of envy
- Whisperers (gossipers)
- Back biters
- Haters of GOD
- Inventors of all evil things
- Disobedient to parents
- Without understanding
- Without natural affection
Those who practice these things know the righteous judgment of God and are deserving of death. Not only those who do these things, but, also those who approve and tolerate others who practice them.
As we see the wages of sin is death, we cannot tolerate sin nor keep silent when presented with the truth. God is A merciful, long-suffering GOD, but he will NOT tolerate sin in his kingdom. Intercession is needed for those who are headed down the road of reprobation. At this time, sin may be pleasurable for a season, but in the end, it only results in death!